Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sweet Like Candy

I'm not sure how you feel about Starburst candies - but if you like them then you will probably LOVE these:

Pictured above are: cherry, lemon, and orange Starburst cupcakes.

In preparation for a coworker's upcoming birthday I tested cupcake and frosting recipes that taste like the colors of the candy rainbow. Starburst happen to be her favorite candy and I have made it my goal to turn everyone's favorite sweet into a delicious little cupcake!

They are pretty good but oh-my-goodness are they sweet. Maybe just a little too sweet with a little tang of sour - just like their candy counterpart!

Anywho - here's the recipe:

Cupcakes:
1 box Super Moist White Cake Mix
3 egg whites
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Gel food coloring

Follow the directions on the box to make the cupcakes. My little twist is that I whip the egg whites to a meringue first. Once the ingredients are incorporated divide the batter into thirds and add food coloring to the desired color.

I also think we could flavor the cake as Starburst but I didn't have the time or the patience this time round.

Frosting:
1 stick butter (room temperature)
4 - 5 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 package each of cherry, orange and lemon UNSWEETENED Kool-Aid

Whip butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the sugar and milk to the desired consistency. Divide the frosting into thirds. Slowly add the Kool-Aid mix into the frsoting, tasting as you go. I used about 1/4 tsp of each. I think using the full packet would be overwhelming - so be cautious when adding the flavor.

Top the cooled cupcakes with the frosting, matching the cherry frsoting to the red cupcakes, lemon to the yellow cupcakes and orange to the - well - orange cupcakes. These monochromatic little packages are beautiful.